3.4. Interruptions in operation of the engine
At interruptions the engine unstably idles, does not develop sufficient power, is raised spends gasoline. Failure of converters of the fulfilled gases is in addition possible. Interruptions, as a rule, are explained by malfunction of nozzles or an electrogasoline pump (see. "Power supply system"), malfunction of a spark plug of one of cylinders, an air suction in one of cylinders. It is necessary to find malfunction and whenever possible to eliminate it.
1. Launch the engine and leave it to idle. Approach an exhaust pipe and listen to an exhaust sound. It is possible to bring a hand to a cut of an exhaust pipe — so interruptions are felt better. The sound has to be equal, "soft", one tone. Cottons from an exhaust pipe through regular periods demonstrate that one cylinder does not work because of failure of a candle, lack of a spark at it, about refusal of a nozzle, about a strong suction of air in one cylinder or considerable decrease in a compression in it. Cottons through irregular periods arise because of pollution of sprays of nozzles, strong wear or pollution of spark plugs. If cottons occur through unequal periods, it is possible to try to replace independently all set of candles irrespective of a run and appearance, however it is better to do it after the appeal to car service for diagnostics and repair of a control system of the engine.
2. If cottons are irregular, stop the engine and open a cowl. Check a condition of wires of system of ignition. Isolation of high-voltage wires should not be damaged, and their tips — are oxidized. If there are damages of wires, replace a faulty wire.
The easiest and at the same time effective way of check of high-voltage wires — check in the dark. Install the car in the dark place, start the engine and open a cowl. Examine high-voltage wires. If isolation of wires is broken, you will see characteristic sparking of blue-violet color ("polar lights"). In this case high-voltage wires demand obligatory replacement.
3. Turn out spark plugs (see. "Replacement and service of spark plugs").
At removal of tips of high-voltage wires never pull for a wire. Undertake a hand directly a tip and, turning it here and there, pull.
4. Attentively examine candles and compare their appearance to the photos provided in the following subsection "Diagnostics of a Condition of the Engine on Appearance of Spark Plugs". If a candle black and damp, it can be thrown out.
5. If all candles look serviceable, establish them into place and connect high-voltage wires. Operating procedure of cylinders: 1–3–4–2; numbering of cylinders (1, 2, 3, 4) is conducted from a pulley of a bent shaft of the engine.
6. Take a spare candle. In any way record it on the engine.
Connect a high-voltage wire of the 1st cylinder to a spare candle. Launch the engine. If interruptions of the engine amplified, replace a candle in the 1st cylinder obviously serviceable. Put on a high-voltage wire and launch the engine. If interruptions amplified, consistently repeat this procedure with all cylinders to find a faulty candle.
The reliable contact of the case of a candle with "weight" is obligatory as at emergence of an additional spark interval, bigger, than a gap between candle electrodes, damage of a high-voltage chain of the coil of ignition or the block of a control system of the engine is possible.
Try to carry out the inspection described above for the shortest interval of time as catalytic converters at long receipt in them not burned down gasoline can fail because of an overheat as gasoline will burn down in them.
If as a result of the taken measures interruptions of the engine are not eliminated, check a compression in each of cylinders (see. "Check of a compression in cylinders"). The normal compression — more than 1,0 MPas (10 kgfs/cm2), difference more than 0,1 MPas (1 kgf/cm2) in one cylinder testifies to need of repair of the engine.